Thursday, February 19, 2009

Festival - Finally!

Ah, Festival is over. Whew. We made it.

Of course, the night before, I only got about 4 hours of sleep (I guess I was too excited for my directorial debut, haha) - so the intense, insane chaos that was Festival was made even more nutty by the invasion of about seven liters of caffiene in my bloodstream, haha.

But enough about me. The KIDS WERE AWESOME!!! They did such a good job with both the skit and the song, and looked amazingly adorable. I got to do a speech at the end about each of my kids, and couldn't say enough about how much my class rocks!
Prepare yourself for a tidal wave of cute:

Their first performance was with two other classes, ringing bells and beating drums to some song called "Entry of the Gladiators."

Waiting in the back like little almond Hershey's Kisses:


Doing their thing on stage:


After this, we had to get them changed for the Wizard of Oz skit - LCI was smart enough to have the parents dress them in white shirts and tights to facilitate the costume changes:


And here are my scarecrows, Andrew and Ryan:


My Tin Men...er, People, Jenny and Sun Q:


The Lions, Eileen and Andy (PS, Eileen has an absolute inability to have her eyes open and looking at the camera in any picture, ever):


And two Dorothys and a female Wizard, Laura, Evelyn, and Sally:


The whole gang, just before they went onstage:


After they did an incredible job on their skit, they had to quick-change for our song, Somewhere Over the Rainbow. A note on these costumes: I intentionally picked the most ridiculous costumes I could find in the book, and was the only teacher who didn't have her costumes switched behind her back.

The directors apparently felt like some of the classes didn't have flashy enough outfits, and changed at least one class's darling costumes to what looked like a Pimps 'n' Hos party, complete with zebra fur hearts on the boys' bottoms and booty-shorts and fishnet hose for the girls. The teacher didn't know about the change until her kids were getting dressed before their song.

Anyways, I hope my boys can forgive me for this:




The final performance was just the kids in blue jeans singing a song in Korean about how much they love their parents (it's an adorable song that gets stuck in my head regularly, even though I don't know the words):


Sadly, I didn't get to stick around and meet my kids' parents, as I was ordered to return to school ASAP after the last song to cover afternoon classes... I have to say, I was disappointed to not have that opportunity. But I was still damn proud of my kids!

That night, Angie and I drug our exhausted butts to Gangnam to shop and eat Indian food and drink wine. We deserved it, after two months of chaos preparing for this one day. It's not the first time my job has stressed me out this much, and I'm sure it won't be the last, but my kiddies make it all seem worth it.

And in the Gangnam subway station, I found this shirt, and knew everything was going to be ok :)



Love you all!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did Hillary Clinton-Rodman (or Rodman-Clinton or is it just Rodman or just Clinton, I can't remember what it is today) make it to your program. Obama sent her out of the country 3 weeks into our nightmare (I think Bill begged him to). I don't think our president wants her around.

Anonymous said...

I've been waiting for a new blog entry! HOW FRICKIN' CUTE WAS THAT?! And where did you get the Wizard of Oz costumes? You picked them out of a magazie? They are PERFECT! How fun, Em! Yay for you! Yay for the Festival! But I must say, where are the video clips?!?!

Anonymous said...

How neat...they look so cute...after all your stressing out they made you proud. Hm, kind of like being a parent. So did you buy the tee shirt for Uncle Audie? By the way, was that a pokeman tag in the shirt?
Great job baby girl, I love you.
Mom

Anonymous said...

hey, this is tricias sister. she was supposed to call me as soon as she got there, but i have not heared from her yet. i am getting very worried. if at all possible can you find a way for you or her to contact me to let me know everything is ok. i would prefer a quick phone call, if not, an email will be okay. i just dont know when i will be able to get it. (813)562-2274 -or- smpaskins07@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Good job! The kids look adorable.