Tuesday, March 10, 2009

My Brilliant New Students

I haven't blogged in a while. Work has been extremely stressful with the class changes and schedule changes... I sunk into a funk for a minute or two, but I think I'm pulling through... Expect multiple updates in the near future :)

I have new students. I wasn't excited about it, but they're amazing. I now teach the two highest levels at LCI. These kids are so smart, it blows my mind. Now, instead of teaching my afternoon classes about the months of the year and how to spell "donkey," I'm teaching voice and vivid details and declarative and interrogatory sentences and LOVING IT!

Today, in my afternoon class, we were discussing the nature of friendship, and how it can take many forms. We had also discussed poetry, and different kinds of poems. I decided to give them 5-7 minutes to write at least a 12-line poem, in any form, about friendship. The results were astounding. I decided I had to share them with all of you...

The following are excerpts from poems about friendship written in under 7 minutes by 10-11 year olds (in their second language):

"She brags until I say
'What a show off;
You brag too much
Just say the word you need
to say.'
Just don't have a mouth full of brags.
But remember this word
in case of something:
'You are my friend, my best friend...'"


Friend is
who worry
and sad
and happy
with me.

Friend is
person that
know each
others' mind

Friend can't
change with
a jewelry
or a treasure.


This one I just had to take a photo of - it was too awesome:


And finally, from my smart-ass genius in the class (with whom I can have lengthy discussions about all things Harry Potter):

"Dragon Friendship"
A dragon sees another
They really like each other
they have some fun
they become dumb
but they always stick together

Together they fly
They always float by
and burn up some grass
eat up some lambs

Together they go
to get a nacho
but they always stick together.


Aren't you blown away too?!?! I'm really looking forward to getting more and more out of them. My head supervisor was also extremely impressed, and wants to post them on the lobby display board!! All this because I needed to kill a couple minutes! :)

That's all I've got for today - I need to finish watching the first episode of this latest season of Grey's Anatomy :)

But first - check out this cool effect my camera does: I can make the moon sparkle!


And we had a b-day yesterday in Kindergarten... Here is my class, all big and old as a 7-2 class now. And that's Philip in the middle, top row. You'll hear lots more about him soon. Philip, the cause of my tension headache...



Love you all!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

He doesn't look like a wolf man....he's actually kind of cute...:)
Glad your funk is passing.
Love you
Mom

Anonymous said...

There is always at least one in any group!

Anonymous said...

Good to catch up with you finally....Beijing, Tianamen Square, The Great Wall, cricket fights, 20-pearl oysters, reckless rickshaws, then Wizard of Oz and the darling friendship poems of those cute little Korean kids with such authentic Korean names-Phillip....what an awesome and amazing adventure you are having Emily Lucille! I am so proud of your unbelievably heroic adventuresome spirit!!!
Live it up all you can! You have obviously figured out this isn't a dress rehearsal for the real deal!!!

Anonymous said...

I thought I had left my name on the above comment but blew it!!!
Dr. Bill

Anonymous said...

Nice to hear from you again, it's tough when you realize kids grow up an move on (hey sometimes it can be a time of celebration). It's good to know you landed on your feet and walking towards this new horizon. Love you always.

ps
Thanks for hooking us up to Jordons' blog, it is much better.
pss
Hey Dr Bill you think Phillip was authentic you should have met BIG MONEY.

Emily Lucille said...

And PS again - we totally have a Tinkerbell in one of the new kindergarten classes :) And I just found out that one of my student's English name used to be Pretty.

Trish the Dish said...

Just got a chance to read your updates...too funny! Love the festival pics!

Anonymous said...

You've always inspired me to write some decent poetry, so I'm not surprised that these kids are doing the same! I miss you like crazy, Em. :( I need you. Michele got a job in Tulsa, so that's nice, but I need a friend closer. Like...a roomie in my house. :) COME HOME! I love you and I'm so proud of you that I don't think I'll ever be able to put it into a poem. But I'll try! ~B

Laura said...

Hi Emily,
I found you blog while googling LCI. I'm up for a teaching position at the school (they're trying to find me an apartment that will accommodate my dog) and I was hoping to pick your brain about the staff, kids etc. Would it be possible for you to email me your take on the school (good AND bad)? My email is lkbrown7@gmail.com
Thanks,
Laura Brown