Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Sports in Korea

Two posts in one night?!! Can you handle it?!?!

So I've been lucky enough to go to two sporting events in Korea recently, and I'd like to share the proof with you here.

First, I went to a World Cup qualifying match between South Korea and North Korea. Stacy invited me to go with her and Eric, and the first thought I had was "Holy Cow, how can I pass this up?!" It was a school-night, so we didn't make it there until half-time, but that was plenty of time to watch SoKo score the one and only goal of the game!! Yay Democracy!

The World Cup Stadium in Seoul:

It was so noisy here... We kept trying to pick up the chants, but the closest we got was "Hey, Puerto Rico!" (I later found out it's actually "Dae Han Min Guk" which means "Republic of Korea!")

The field:


Us loving being there:


The final score:


Also, on easter weekend I got to go to my first baseball game in Korea: LG Twins vs Doosan Bears. Talk about another noisy venue... The fans never stopped! Each side had all these intense cheers and the stadium wasn't even moderately calm at any point! I will definitely be going to more of these!

The stadium:


Some Doosan Bears fans:


Proof that I was there:


The score: (the Bears were winning, for the record)


So, in short, I'm enjoying the fact that it's finally great weather again here...

OH! PS - I'm not sure I've announced this here yet, but I've decided to go ahead and extend another 6 months, so I'm in Korea until the end of February, 2010. I'll be back in ICT for a week in August, but otherwise you all need to start booking tickets to come visit :)

Love you all!

4 comments:

Jalayne (Emily's momma) said...

And they say baseball is America's favorite pasttime. Looks like the Korean's have us beat...what a mob is the stadium that big?
Love you baby girl.
Mom

audra said...

I think it would be thrilling to be in a huge stadium surrounded by noisy people speaking a language you don't understand!

Bree-da-dee said...

What fun sporting events! Yay sports! This summer I finally get to attend the NACUA conference (what I was supposed to go to in NYC last summer), and this year it's in Toronto! I'm totally going to a Blue Jays game! So what was better World cup or baseball? Approximately how much are tickets to these events in USD?

michele said...

Wow, those are pretty amazing pictures. I love the first picture with the girl with the bears on her headband thing. Nothing beats the Jayhawks at Allen Field House though :)