Wednesday, October 22, 2008

On display...

I teach children. Small children. Sometimes I forget just how young they are, because for the most part they are brilliant. Amazing. Little sponges who thirstily suck up any bit of knowledge I can provide. But they are children. And children don't have the same sense of boundaries as adults...

I've realized, in my kindergarten class, that my body is barely mine anymore. At any given point in a day, I've got children poking me, prodding me, hugging me, holding my hand, kissing me, tugging on me... and even, at times, grabbing my chest. The funniest was when they started beating on my butt and saying "Teacher, drum!" They were so proud of themselves. But this is childhood, they're just in it for the fun.

They're so honest too. Once, I was reading a story that gave instructions to find certain things: "Find something blue" or "Find something soft." Of course, at "Find something big" three or four of them pointed to my thighs and rear and said "Emily Teacher, this big!" HA!

The honesty doesn't stop in kindergarten. Yesterday, during an adjective-activity where my older elementary class had to write a story using "huge" and "heavy" I was informed that I was huge and heavy. But only my bottom half, not my top. They said it's because I'm American, and American's are fat because they eat too much meat and fat.

Sometimes they're not so nice. Today one of my elementary kids said "Emily Teacher is dung." Apparently he didn't realize that it was the same in English as it is in Korean. He was pretty surprised when he found himself out in the hallway.

My favorite, though, is Angela. For some reason she has fixated on my stomach. Not because she thinks it's big or huge or heavy (she's made that clear), but because it makes her laugh to say "Emily Teacher stomach." She uses it all the time. "How are you feeling today, Angela?" "I'm feeling.... {here she gets this mildly evil grin}...Emily Teacher's stomach!!!" Once she was hungry...for Emily Teacher's stomach. Whenever she has stickers to give me, they get stuck on my stomach. We're learning about toys now, and her favorite toy is Emily Teacher's stomach. It's hilarious, and only a little frightening :)

Love you all!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So you've got some brats, eh? Want me to beat them up? NOBODY messes with MY Emily!!! I don't care how small or young you are!!! But seriously, the attitude of children is why I could never teach high school. Elementary school, maybe. But if you get sassiness in Kindergarten, take that times 12 for high school. Ugh. No, thanks! So is teaching what you thought it would be? Do you think you'll want to do that here in the U.S. where everyone is the same size as you? :) I miss you, Emmylou. Keep the faith, sister.

Emily Lucille said...

Oh, I hope it didn't sound like I was complaining. I love them. I love their honesty. Of course, as with any group of people, there are poop-heads, but for the most part the kids are great! And I have no idea what I'll do after this. I've forbidden myself from thinking about it until at least the 6 month mark :)

Anonymous said...

How funny, now everyone is staring at me because I am laughing out loud. And just think, 1 year ago you wouldn't even dream about teaching elementary kids due to all the touching, germs, ect...now look at you. I love this post, great job.
By the way, I am so happy that you are taking it all in stride and not personal. Geez, I wonder what they will say about me when I come over to visit. (:
I love you baby girl, keep enjoying.
Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

I've seen the pictures of their food, no wonder they are so skinny. Tentacles and cabbage are low calorie! I've gained weight in the last couple of months, having an office job. I am going to the Y, trying to keep it off. And I agree with Breea about them being ornery and cute in kindergarten but then turning into monsters for highschool, we are having some issues with our neighbor teenagers.

Trish the Dish said...

I teach preschool here in the states...you're preaching to the choir!