Wednesday, July 8, 2009

We didn't start the fire...

WE FOUND DIGGY TODAY!!!

Ok, maybe not happy news, as he was perfectly preserved at the bottom of our block-box, but at least we know his fate.

My kids were playing with the blocks after science today, and I guess this is the first time they've used them all in a while... All of a sudden Andy shouted,"TEACHER!! Diggy is here!" I thought he was kidding.

I realized finally by the look on his face that Diggy was actually there, so I walked over, bracing myself for the worst. But there was Diggy, our class beetle, lying just as complacently in Death as he had in Life at the bottom of the box. I had been making a paper "nest" for the paper "eagles" we had made in science, so I quickly decided that was Diggy's new resting place.

He now resides, looking very much the same as the old Diggy, in his nest on my bookshelf. Long live dead Diggy. :)

And now the reason for the post title...

We got out of work 30 minutes early today!! Usually a cause for celebration, this early release was for far more morbid reasons...

Rachel, my supervisor, came running into my class about 30 seconds before the bell rang and said "We're going home now!" Usually, the kids leave at 6:30 and the teachers leave at 7. We all thought maybe the bell was a little late and the bus drivers were growing impatient. How little we knew.

When we went into the office for our 30 minute prep time, we were informed that ALL of us were going home now. It seemed the building had caught fire.

I don't know if I've expounded on the lack of fire safety in our building, but suffice it to say that we have two fire exits: out the 4th floor window, or through the fire escape which has been blocked by a large heavy cabinet.

My heart definitely raced for a moment as I grabbed my purse and headed for the hallway. And saw all of our students waiting for the elevators. WHAT?!?! Elevators?! Umm, maybe this is only the US, but I remember always being told that, in case of a fire, you should use the stairs. Which we tried, but were denied.

Finally, they let us teachers go down the stairs. Once we reached the 1st floor it was pretty darn smokey, but we realized for most places in our building they were carrying on with business as usual. So we went to the restaurant on the corner for chicken and beer, a half an hour earlier than planned.

I'm sure everything is fine, and we will have work tomorrow (and they will probably withhold the half an hour's pay from us). But still, it was an exciting little distraction!

Love you all!

3 comments:

audra said...

Wow, you always have great stories. Yesterday I almost got plowed into by a mentally handicapped man riding a bike and wearing an elmo shirt. Thats all I got...

Rick said...

Wow! That was crazy. I'm really glad that everyone was ok. Except Diggy =-(

Bree-da-dee said...

So was it work as usual the next day? Chicken and beer... yummy! Audra~ That's a pretty good story, my friend! I think we all have some good stories. We are the coolest people I know. :)