Thursday, March 25, 2010

Antigua and a Convent

Thursday morning was uneventful, thank goodness. Except for sweating my face off on the bus and having a complete mental block in my Spanish class, everything was normal :)

I went back to mi casa for lunch, and then decided to head back into Antigua to walk around and take photos (ps - I'm actually living in Jocotenango, which is basically Antigua's left arm... but I can't walk to the downtown area from here)

One of the first places I went was an old convent that had been destroyed by earthquakes. It was basically a big brick patio with some arched doorways and a fountain - but it's attached to a beautiful bright yellow church. Pictures:


















I also discovered the Pillsbury Dough Boy's skanky cousin:


Do you see the arched bridge over the street in this photo?:


Apparently the nuns who lived in a convent down this road used to have to cross the street to go eat their meals. Every time they did, the men would gather and try to talk to them - eventually, some nuns started running away with the men - So the Mother Superior had this bridge built so the nuns couldn't interact with the men!

Here's just a typical Antiguan street:


I'm inserting the funny story I previously posted here, as I deleted that post:
I was walking around Antigua, and encountered many people handing out flyers for various restaurants and hotels. Not so strange - we've all gotten these things before.

One guy handed me a flyer, then said "Where you from? De donde eres? Where you from?" (Really - all 3 sentences ran together) When I told him the US, he said "Ah, American! You want to buy some really good weed?"

Apparently selling pot suddenly overshadowed selling a dinner when he found out I was from the US. He didn't seem to believe me when I told him I didn't smoke, and then laughed at me when I continued to walk away.

Anyways, it made me laugh.

After walking around, I decided I wanted a beer. I went into a place that advertised it's rooftop patio, and ended up meeting some nice people. And took a picture:


Of course, they all left this morning to go home.

(ps - can you see the necklace I'm wearing in that picture? Eduardo, the guy who took me on his motorcycle, deals in handmade Guatemalan items (clothing, jewelry, etc). Anyways - he was at the house when I returned after lunch yesterday, and gave Carina and I necklaces from his new "shipment"... I love it!)

So now it's Friday. School was uneventful, and I have no idea what the weekend holds. I wish I lived close enough to go out on my own, but maybe it's for the best :) I just hope I'm not bored out of my mind this weekend. And if I am, I hope I get off my butt and go do something :)

Love you all!

1 comment:

Trish the Dish said...

Bimbos, weed, and runaway nuns...oh my! haha. Too funny. Even from the other side of the world you make me crack up!

So glad to see you're having a good time! Get out this weekend and do something so I can see more photos!

Miss your face!