Monday, March 29, 2010

Casa de Waffle, y Casa de Corea?!?!?!

Sunday morning, shortly after I woke up, Claudia came to my room and asked if I wanted to go into Guatemala City for breakfast with the whole family. Of course I did, but when I asked her when we were leaving, she told me "Oh, 10 minutes." I knew I couldn't shower and be ready by then, so when I told her I'd need about 30 minutes she gave me a sad, "I don't think we can do that" look.

About 5 minutes later, Pablo came to my door and said "Emily, I need to shower, too. You can still come with us!" So I said, "Ok, we'll race... uno, dos, tres, VAMOS!"

By the time I had showered, blow dried, lotioned, and dressed, Pablo still had one sock and one shoe off. I WON!!! (PS - It only took 10 minutes, haha!)

Anyways, we hopped in the car and went to Guatemala City for a morning of eating, shopping, shopping, and driving! Since you can't actually be here with me, I took photos which, if you enlarge them on your computer and sit VERY close to the screen, might enable you to pretend you're here :)

Road to Guatemala - The twists!


The turns!


The... Waffle House??

PS - I kid you not, I also saw a place called Denny's, specializing in breakfast (desayuno), which was basically three picnic tables and a tent!

Claudia!


Pablo!


y Yo, tambien!


We went to a really delicious place for breakfast - I had a Mediterranean omelet and some weird black bean loaf. It was great!

Guillermo and Titi (ps - I had to go look up his name just now... shows how much I see Titi's husband, haha)


After breakfast we went to Guatemalan Sam's Club - PriceSmart!

Pablo and I had fun eating and drinking EVERY free sample we came across. We also had a swordfight with whiffle-ball bats. This family probably thinks when I said I was 27 years old, I meant 17. Or 12.

Today I got a pedicure. Titi's sister owns a salon, and did an excellent job, in spite of the fact that I haven't had a pedicure in more than 2 years (probably more like 4 or 5) and kept giggling and wincing like a baby :) (ps - I know the ladies are wondering.... it was about $11)

On the way to the bus, I finally passed the Korean restaurant!


The menu seems like it was taken straight from in front of a restaurant in Korea, except for the funny spellings and prices in Quetzales :)

I definitely need to eat there before I leave!

Love you all! Leave comments!

8 comments:

Rick said...

That was a great post, there is so much going on! Still.... there is something to be said for sitting on your couch wasting way the day.... Wait no there's not.

Unknown said...

So in the last post where it said Banos Q 2.0 that meant it cost $2 to use the bathroom? And by $2 I mean 2 units of currency....

Trish the Dish said...

PLEASE have some Guatemalan kimchi chigae for me! haha

Emily Lucille said...

Michele - Yes indeed, 2 quetzales (which is about 24 cents)...

And Dish - I didn't even like kimchi chigae in Korea... But I may do some bibimbap!

Trish the Dish said...

whatever you eat there, enjoy and take photos! :-)

Brian said...

Emilita! You have 7 IMCT's waiting! Please send me a miniature Mayan temple carved from jade. Thanks!

Brian said...

Emilita! You have 7 IMCT's waiting! Please send me a miniature Mayan temple carved from jade. Thanks!

mike c said...

그 한국 식당이 보신탕 있어요?