Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Tuesday Morning

Well, I solved the time issue and woke up at a decent hour today. I'm afraid I'm going to get very used to a balanced breakfast being set out for me every morning. I took the bus to school for the first time today. Maximo Nivel promised no more than a 20 minute commute... it took 40. I was a little late to school.

The bus was hilarious. No real bus stop sign, just a man shouting from behind the bus "ANTIGUA! ANTIGUA!" Also, all the buses are from the US - remember the big yellow bus you took to school? That's what I'm taking now! It felt very strange and nostalgic to be sitting in that dirty brown bench seat with my knees pressed against the seatback in front of me. Also, people enter the bus not only from the front door (which never closes) but from the emergency exit in the back!

There are no real stops (I think) - it just goes until it reaches the large handcraft market in Antigua. From there, it's about a 10 minute walk to my school.

Claudia (the daughter in the house I live in) told me last night over dinner that tonight she is taking me to MonoLoco, a pretty famous bar here in Antigua. She also made me try Gallo, the #1 Guatemalan beer. I was skeptical, as Koreans say Cass and Hite are good, and they taste like muddy horse pee... But Gallo is DELICIOSO!!!! I'm looking forward to nachos y cerveza at "Crazy Monkey" tonight, and I'll tell you all about it tomorrow!

Love you all!

1 comment:

Rick said...

Some of the best sleep I've ever got has been on a school bus in that excact postion!