Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Longer post... Walk to work.. And more!

Ok, UNCLE CJ!!! Here's what you're paying for! :)

First, my walk to work. Here is the sliding glass door to my building:

You can see the keypad on the right side of the door... that's how I get in.

If I look right, here's what I see:


But I go left:


I walk to the end of that little road, and turn left. Here's the view:


On my right when I'm walking down this road, there is a pretty big park:


At the end of that street, I turn right:


When I get to that next intersection, I wait at the crosswalk for a million years. Here's the view:


Sometimes that crosswalk talks... Like, it sounds like a woman commanding people over a loudspeaker. Danielle and I think she's shouting "Get the foreigners!!"

Now I walk about 3 big blocks. Here's a snapshot during the walk:


Finally, I see the building! (It's on the left, and if you can read it, it says "Nurie-edeul" on the side:


But first, it's in to Java City for an Iced Caramel Macchiatto!! (for $5.80. So send money so I can support my Macchiatto habit!!):


Here is a picture of LCI's sign outside the building:


It just so happened yesterday that one of my kindergarteners was having a birthday party. They had told me they'd be in around 11:10 to do the party... I was expecting cupcakes and maybe those cheap paper party favors WE ALL had for our 6th birthdays... nope. The spread was huge!! Check it out:


That's tempura shrimp, mini corn dogs on a stick, fruit on a stick, cake from Paris Baguette, juice boxes, sandwiches shaped like Hello Kitty and Winnie the Pooh, chicken wings, and Go-Gurt (yogurt in a tube). Plus treat boxes for each kid (that I think had like, jellies and crackers and cookies in them). THEN, after all this, the birthday girl got to sit in a chair and call each child up one-by-one to give her a present!! This kid made out like a bandit! And of course, we got NO work done till after lunch!

Here is my whole class (aka, the cats I herd daily)

Back row: Eileen, Kathleen, Sun Q (a favorite!), Laura, and Emily Teacher.
Front row: Andrew, Ryan, Evelyn, Edward, and Andy.

Aren't they cute??

Now, I want to show you some Korean awesomeness I found the other night. First, hanging gas pumps! When you just don't trust gas from the ground, there's Gas-In-The-Air!


Then, Brett and EV (another couple, of course...sidenote: I am like, the ONLY non-coupled person here. Even Tyler, the other new teacher, has a friend coming here to take one gal's place at the end of this month....SERIOUSLY!?!)... Anyways, Brett and EV and I went to this place called Garten Bier, where they have chilled cupholders at your table... 4 degrees celsius!


It was cool - Ice chips form around your beer, and if you take too long between sips, you almost have to chisel your glass out! Speaking of glass, here is a picture of the awesome glasses they serve the beer in: (Also pictured are Brett, some weird rice thing he's eating, and Old Spice)


That's it for now... I'm about to turn on my gas stove for the first time ever. I'm afraid of blowing myself up, but I'm really hungry and can't seem to get my dang traveler's checks exchanged... So it's cook or starve!! (hahaha). Anyways, wish me luck. Love you all!!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good post
Picture comments
.Look right out of your building see deserted road, no people/no cars. Good choice turning left.
.Does the sign on your building translate to "nerde-ed"?
.The little boy in yellow looked very excited about the Barbie favorites box.
.In group photo were those korean gang signs to two in front were flashing (korean kids and gang signs sing along).
.Do you need to jump to get the gas pump handles??
.Finaly I NEED one of those tables
Sucks about Farve he is acting like a girl not making up his mind
Out
CJ

Anonymous said...

Wow, your view is great! My fave scenic shot has got to be that awesome frickin' beer! Ha ha ha!

Anonymous said...

P.S. Uncle CJ is HILARIOUS!

P.S.S. Just so you know, I fully expect a birthday spread like that catered by you (because I'm sure you'll be an expert in all of those culinary delights after a year of teaching Kindergarden) for Stinky Pants Man's 6th birthday. Is this enough advance notice?

MISS YOU! LOVE YOU!

Anonymous said...

I want a hello kitty sandwich! and a barbie treat sack! Save me one.

Emily Lucille said...

CJ - you goof. That "korean kids and gang signs" had me cracking up all morning... now I can't stop singing it!!! (And that little boy in yellow was new as of Monday, and thursday was the first day he didn't cry all day long... blah!

Emily Lucille said...

Breea - Did you SEE the meal I made?!?! I'm nowhere near that kind of kinder-culinary creative!!! I just throw stuff in with noodles! But if Jordan wants some Kimchi, I'll bring some home. Trust me, it'll still taste the same in 5 years - IT'S ROTTEN ANYWAYS!!!!

Anonymous said...

Long comment full of questions:
~Why is your school building so big? What else is in there?
~I imagine if you only have to spend $2 for dinner and you don't have to pay for gas, $5.80 macchiattos are a worth wile expediture
~Barbie boxes for the girls...did the boys get hot wheels boxes like at McDonalds?
~Mini corndogs on a stick might be the best invention ever. I will definitely be having those in place of cake at my next b-day party!
~I totally thought the juice boxes said "Jungle Juice" on them when I first glanced
~How come the I♥YOU candles aren't Korean characters? That would be awesome!
~Seriously, how do they get the gas pump down? Maybe they are just getting a head start on the flying car phenomenon. Amazing!
~And finally, chilled cup holders...BRILLIANT!