Thursday, September 11, 2008

The Hanbok

This weekend is Chuseok. My understanding is it's similar to Thanksgiving, but the focus is Kimchi, the harvest moon, and family, instead of turkey, football, and family :)

Yesterday, as a special pre-Chuseok event, all of the Kindergarteners wore Hanbok - the traditional Korean clothing. It was probably the CUTEST I've seen them:





We also got to make songpyon (I probably butchered that spelling) yesterday. It's basically a riceball with raisins or sugar/sesame seeds in the middle. One of the bus teachers came in and taught us all how to do it. She doesn't speak a lot of English, so the kids were really got a kick out of speaking Korean to EmilyTeacher. At one point they were telling me "Teacher, say {insert Korean phrase here}" and the bus teacher looked at me and said "Um, you say 'I am a monkey.'" How funny are my kids?!?!?!





The two big ones on the left are mine:

The bus teacher told me if I make a beautiful songpyon, I will have a beautiful daughter. Hopefully that doesn't mean "within the next year." :)

Speaking of kids, yesterday in one of my elementary classes I taught them the concept of having a big head. Every day they say they are happy because they love EmilyTeacher and love that class, etc etc, so I told them they were going to give me a big head.
Later, we were learning how to compare with adjectives, using -er and -est, so I stood with two other kids and we talked about who was taller, tallest, smallest, etc. Then I had to slip in "EmilyTeacher is smartest." The kids got a chuckle. However, I think THEY are the smartest, because after break I came back to the room to find THIS note on my whiteboard:



HA!

Ok, I have much more to blog about, but I have to go to work. So next time, I'll tell you all about the crazy medical exam I had to have in order to get my Alien Registration Card!

Love you all!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lmao your kids are awesome!

Anonymous said...

Emily, The children are so cute... I love that they are so funny and keeping you on your toes. I bet I would have made a beautiful (whatever the food is), because I have two beautiful daughters. How exiciting that you were able to experience the children in the traditional Korean dress. They are absolutely adorable.
I love you,
Mom

Anonymous said...

I came back to this planet from which i fell. Your class looked awesome in their traditionals (photos show girls are girls and boys, are in fact through out the world, boys). I caught up on prior blogs bummer about your drama class but hey now you can blow something up in the medical flask. love you always
ps how did the bacon stay fresh on the trip over??
pss alice cooper concert tonight, sky and i are going.

Anonymous said...

Will you find ash one of those outfits?

Emily Lucille said...

Haha, CJ, the bacon was from here. And for the record, their bacon is not as good as our bacon. Not even close.

Callie, that's a nice idea, but HOLY COW you have no idea how EXPENSIVE those things are. We didn't even get to have Big Gym or PlayGym time Thursday because they didn't want any kids ruining their hanboks. Super pricey.

Anonymous said...

This is such an AWESOME experience for you! How frickin' cool is all of that!!!

Anonymous said...

Aren't kids great? They will tell you what is on their mind without restraint!